Home security is a constant worry for everyone. From power sirens to smart home security systems and roller garage doors, the question of how to keep your home secure is an on-going priority. When you are considering which areas of your home are most at risk, you may be surprised to learn that garage doors top the list. Here’s a quick guide to the best types of garage doors to keep your home safe, because choosing the wrong type, could put your home in serious danger.
Why garage doors? When it comes to choosing the best garage door for your home, from side-hinged, to up and over and roller garage doors, there are a wide range of options. If you make the wrong choice, you could live to regret it.
As one of the most vulnerable areas of your home, it is important to know which types of garage doors are best for home security. Read on for an essential shortlist of the best garage doors for your home.
Did you know that the weakest areas of your home are: pet doors, garage doors, French doors, windows and of course, the front door?1 Surprised to see garage doors top the list?
It is easy to overlook your garage door when you are thinking about the next task that needs to be done at home. However, ensuring that you have a secure garage door will benefit your home in so many ways:
- Protection: Garages often house lots of expensive belongings. From cars to gym equipment and plush tools, you want to keep your things safe. Enjoy the reassurance that having a strong, high-quality garage door provides.
- Add value: With the right garage door, you can add value to your home. Ensure that you choose stylish, high-quality designs that complement the rest of your home’s exterior decor.
- Deterrent: A robust garage door without visible locks can be enough to deter thieves. Minus a clear locking system, intruders will pass you by because they don’t want to have to deal with the hassle of trying to gain entry.
- Energy: install a well-insulated garage door and you could increase the energy efficiency of your home at the same time. A well-made, insulated garage door will keep your garage deliciously cool in the summer and wonderfully warm in the winter – important for the upkeep of cars and other items stored in the garage.
So which types of garage doors are the best for security?
Here are the top types of garage doors that will keep your home secure:
- Roller garage doors: High-quality roller garage doors, are one of the most secure types of garage entries on the market. With an internal mechanism there is no clear point of entry for potential intruders. Choose double-skinned metal for a robust and stylish front door.
- Double-skinned, steel-panelled, framed side-hinged doors are a high performing product. They have the advantage of providing both style and security. Strengthen the hinged door with a good alarm system too.
- Sectional doors are a great choice, particularly with those who are short on space. The automated opening will provide a strong seal, keep locks hidden away and deliver an aesthetically pleasing look.
- Multi-point locking systems help up-and-over doors to increase their security level. Add a Euro cylinder anti-snap lock that can’t be forced or drilled open.
- Automated: without a locking system on display, automated garage doors are remarkably strong. The continuous downwards force that automated doors exert can only be stopped when the remote is activated by the owner.
Whichever door you choose, by selecting a high-quality, robust, automated and stylish design, you can ensure that your home and belongings remain safe and in good condition for years to come.